Tuesday, 23 September 2014

20/20 Encounters Festival 2014

Hello hello hello!

I apologise for being so quiet recently, I've been travelling! Well just down the country but it was a bloody long train journey thats for sure!

Last week, I partook in the Encounters 20/20 international festival.

(I now have a laurel on my film! How neat is that? )


How!? Well my graduate film Umbras was shown there which was an incredible honour as the festival was hosting some incredible films and some incredible animation too! I was pretty awestruck to be accepted.

If I could I'd share every one of the animation I managed to catch however I've be on all day so! Here's my run down of my very favourites!


This was the first animation we were graced with in the animation categories, and it was perhaps the perfect one to start with, it was beautiful, and fluid both in story and animation. I sat and just drank in the imagery and the colours. Wild ride start to finish.



Poker! By Mirai Mizue, I absolutely loved this music video, the sound and imagery fit together fantastically, I immediately had wanted to watch it again, it's so uplifting.


Simple clean and great gag's I don't think I could of disliked it if I tried! If you manage to get to a festival with this in you won't be disappointed.


This one tickled me, the character reminded me of a tic tac and the deadpan delivery of the comedy was gold, I felt it managed to connect with the audience. As a female I'll hopefully never experience baldness but I could understand the dilemma and how he got through it hah

I was incredibly lucky to also get to sit in on Glen Keane's Q&A, I could only sit and agree with everything he said, I always find the advice, or the inspiration that is shared so invaluable, this goes to all animators and artists, people that I've met. You should never close your eyes to sound advice and to the experience people can offer you. 

I would truly love to write about everything I saw, if you were at the festival let me know! I'd love to know what you thought and stuff. 



I'm back to my usual job now but the festival was a great break from the work schedule and I managed to meet some really nice and interesting people. It was great to have my work shown at such a large venue also! I'll be posting some art later on, I'm currently swamped with freelance work again.